birding-aus

Birdwatching from a cafe

To: <>
Subject: Birdwatching from a cafe
From: "Mike" <>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:45:52 +1000
Dear Birding Ausers

Our house is build up off the ground on top of the highest hill on the PAU
campus and at the moment we have a native fig in fruit right outside our dining
room.  This means that when my wife and I are having meals we are also seeing
and being serenaded by many birds.

Breakfast time today we had 60 Yellow-faced Mynas, 20 Figbirds, 5-8
Fawn-breasted Bowerbirds, two Brown Orioles, two White-bellied Cuckoo-shrikes,
four-six Helmeted Friarbirds, and a Sacred Kingfisher watching from a nearby
perch.  Yesterday we had some extras in the form of a pair of Streak-headed
Honeyeaters, and the day before a Whistling Kite under the tree consuming a
dead and partly-eaten Pacific Black Duck, which was being watched by two
torresian Crows.  When a Variable Goshawk swooped into the trees all became the
noise of rushing wings and then silence for six or seven minutes and then the
noise starts to build up again as fig-addicted birds return to the tree.

Last year we had Black-backed Butcherbirds eating figs on two days.   We had
better enjoy the view from our cafe over lunch time today as I figure the figs
are going to run out sometime tomorrow.

Hope your cafe bird-watching is as enjoyable as ours at the moment.

Mike

Prof Mike Tarburton
Dean: School of Science and Technology
Pacific Adventist University