birding-aus

Swift Parrots in Kenmore, Brisbane

Subject: Swift Parrots in Kenmore, Brisbane
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 09:39:42 +1000

Roger Jeansch just passed this information on to me about Swift Parrots in Queensland:

Just to report that a flock of about 12 Swift Parrots was observed today 3 June 04 between 1630 and 1700 (dusk) in suburban Kenmore, a south-western suburb of Brisbane. The flock was moving between remnant tall Eucalyptus tereticornis trees scattered among the houses in a minor valley around Glen Frew Street and spent 15 minutes roosting in the uppermost canopy of one such tree. Some trees were heavily in bud with just a few flowers emerging. Small numbers of Rainbow, Scaly-breasted and Little Lorikeets were in the same area. I have been keeping an ear and eye open in this area lately so it is possible that the Swifties have recently arrived; on the other hand I'm sure they are often overlooked. In 2002 there were smaller numbers in this part of Kenmore, during the influx (groups up to 50) to western Brisbane. As others may wish to look for the birds and as I am not a Birding-aus subscriber, I would be grateful if you could please post a n ote on this subject, in a form that you see as appropriate. Because this is a totally suburban area, please remind would-be-observers to respect residents' privacy. All the best - Roger Jaensch.

Roger Jaensch ,
Wetlands International,
Toowong Queensland.

confidential information.

If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and then delete the message. Views expressed in this message may be those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the NSW Department of Environment and Conservation.