birding-aus

Prospect Resevoir, NSW (more Swift Parrots) - 30th May 2004

To: <>
Subject: Prospect Resevoir, NSW (more Swift Parrots) - 30th May 2004
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 00:54:36 +1000

Today, 30th May 2004,  Graham Turner and I spent the morning at Prospect Reservoir (approx. 35-40km west of Sydney CBD near Blacktown) to see if we can locate more Swift Parrots and any other interesting birds. Not too long after arriving we saw a small group of 4 Swift Parrots flying over and calling but this was unfortunately the only views we were able to get of them (these parrots can remain quite for quite some time when feeding in the foliage and therefore easy to miss). Being a fairly large area, more Swifties could be present elsewhere. However, we did see in addition to the Swift Parrots a nice light phase Little Eagle, an Immature White-bellied Sea-eagle, Bar-shouldered Doves, Rose Robins (I only saw one nice coloured male and I heard several others), a female Crested Shrike-tit, Variegated Wrens, 3 Brown Gerygones, Weebills, quite a number of Varied Sitellas, lots of Striated and Spotted Pardalotes, a number of Double-barred and the more numerous Red-browed  Firetails and Olive-backed Oriole.

There are quite a number of species of Eucalypt in flower including Swamp Mahogany (Eucalyptus robusta) (thanks Graham for confirming the identity of this species. The Mahogany is originally a coastal species growing naturally on fairly swampy ground) and Mugga Ironbarks (E. sideroxylon) (both species appear to have been planted in or on the edge of the forest/woodland around the north side of the reservoir), Narrow-leafed Ironbarks (E. crebra), Forest Red Gums (E. tereticornis) and Spotted Gums (E. maculata). The flowering activity around the reservoir (the peak flowering has yet to come!) was attracting numerous Yellow-faced, White-naped, Brown-headed, Fuscous, White-plumed, New Holland (these seem to be increasing at Prospect) and several Scarlet Honeyeaters amongst 11 species of Honeyeaters present.

Later in the morning it was nice to see flying in a thermal an adult White-bellied Sea-eagle, a Little Eagle and 5 Whistling Kites (the later calling as they went up higher in the air).

In the reservoir it self were 53 Great Crested Grebe amongst other usual water birds.

Another beautiful morning at the Reservoir!

Edwin Vella