birding-aus

Dusky Woodswallows (from B Everingham)

To: "Russell Woodford" <>, "birding aus" <>
Subject: Dusky Woodswallows (from B Everingham)
From: "Ricki Coughlan" <>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 20:28:56 +1000
Hi Russell and Brian

I've pretty good written records dating well back in the 1990's (and a
memory dating back to the early 1970's in the Park) and, keeping in mind
that one can't be everywhere on every day, you seem to have the record with
40 in one place at one time. Duskies are a great style of bird and very cute
when they all perch shoulder-to-shoulder along a branch. Recently had
hundreds of these fellows in the ironbark forests of Chiltern (Vic) and a
few dozen in the Albury area.

Generally, the best place I know around the Royal National Park is on the
Kingfisher Pool trail (in Heathcote National Park). Where the trail departs
from the pipeline trail for about the first 300 metres along you can
generally find a few this time of year and several at time in the Summer and
Spring. Have never had any around Kangaroo Creek. However, as that's not too
far from the other site (as the Dusky Woodswallow flies) perhaps it's an
area which is favourable to them generally.

Whilst on the subject of the RNP, the first young Lyrebirds have already
emerged. The hens are reappearing and have found several nest sites.
Rockwarblers are abundant (6 on Saturday in three hours) and 8+ (with lots
more calls) today in 5 hours. Plenty of Varied Sitellas, Crested Shrike-tits
(two of my personal faves) have been gracing the trees on Lady Carrington
Drive of late too. Generally, abundance seems to be well up on the last few
Autumns.

Happy birding - Ricki