birding-aus

Re: Freckled Duck at Drysdale

To: "Birding-Aus messages" <>
Subject: Re: Freckled Duck at Drysdale
From: "Hugo Phillipps" <>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 12:26:42 +1000
Hi everybody -

Just to for the record, and following some correspondence, I feel I should
withdraw the claim for  the count of 500+ FRDUs for 16 May 2004.  The count
was based on two components (of 330 and 240) from opposite sides of Lake
Lorne, and it is possible that some ducks swam round or between the treed
islands in the middle of the lake and were counted twice.  A conservative
minimum count of 330 (corroborating Andrew Corrick's count of the previous
day) seems sound.  I went to the lake again on Wednesday to recheck and
numbers were definitely down compared to the weekend, with a count of 190.
My count of all wetland species there for 19 May was as follows:

Freckled Duck    190
Blue-billed Duck    3
Australasian Shoveler    3
Chestnut Teal    18
Black Swan    11
Australasian Grebe    3
Hoary-headed Grebe    9
Little Pied Cormorant    1
Australian Pelican    1
White-faced Heron    1
Straw-necked Ibis    104
Australian White Ibis    5
Purple Swamphen    9
Dusky Moorhen    19
Eurasian Coot    95
Black-winged Stilt    2
Masked Lapwing    6
Silver Gull    20

On Sunday 16 May there were also a couple of Pacific Black Duck and a
Black-fronted Dotterel.

Cheers,
Hugo

Hugo Phillipps