birding-aus

Re:RFI Newcastle and surrounds

Subject: Re:RFI Newcastle and surrounds
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 19:03:36 +1000

Hi All,

I'm planning a trip up to Newcastle in early June, and would like to hear about some 'must-go'  spots,  and some specific directions to find hard to get birds.

I'm mainly after good spots to see birds you cant see in Victoria (rainforest birds), but in particularly the below list of birds.

I would prefer spots that are avalible by car, and not paid tours etc.

The closer to newcastle the better, but preferably within 150km.

Thanks in advance ,

Peter

A (far from complete) wish list:

Rufous Scrub Bird
Noisy Pitta
Emerald dove
Black-faced and Spectacled Monarchs

Glossy Black Cockatoo
Eastern Bristlebird
Regent HE and Swift Parrot sites.

Jabiru - Black Necked Stork.
Whistling Ducks,
Pacific Baza
Osprey

Regent bowerbird
Pheasant Coucal
Varied Triller
White cheeked Honeyeater
Scarlet Honeyeater

If any of these are still around:

Whimbrel,
Eastern Curlew
Grey Tailed Tatler

Yellow Wagtail  - still at Ash island???

Anything else special in the area.