birding-aus

Honeyeaters & White Bellied Sea Eagles

To: "Birding Australia" <>
Subject: Honeyeaters & White Bellied Sea Eagles
From: "Tom Wilson" <>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 21:39:42 +1000
Hello all
did a brief walk along one of the bush tracks on West Head in Ku-Ring-Gai NP
in N Sydney today, and then had a picnic lunch at West Head, overlooking
Barrenjoey Head and Broken Bay.

On the Challenger Track, there were plenty of honeyeaters - at one point
(about 25 minutes walking in at a small patch of trees, flowering banksias
and other shrubs) I had 10 species of honeyeater close by - Yellow Faced,
White Cheeked, New Holland, Red Wattlebird, Little Wattlebird, White Naped,
White Eared, Scarlet and Eastern Spinebill - not a bad set!

At West Head, there was a pair of Whistling Kites.  Across Pittwater
circling above Barrenjoey Head were three sea eagles - there was definitely
one "brown" bird and two sub adults with big white patches in the wings and
looking like a smudgy adult.  Most of the books I have referred to (esp
Debus' "Birds of Prey of Australia") indicate that only full adults breed,
so I wondered whether  the two sub-adults had actually bred and reared a
youngster - otherwise I would not think that they would put up with the
younger bird muscling in on their patch.  Any thoughts?
Cheers
Tom Wilson