birding-aus

Honeyeater migration at Katoomba

Subject: Honeyeater migration at Katoomba
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 11:51:13 +1000
Hi all,

Here at Katoomba yesterday morning the honeyeater migration was in full
swing. Between 11.20 and 11.35am I counted 460 birds flying roughly north
over my house. This translates to a rate of 1840 birds per hour, quite
impressive but not approaching the huge numbers I get some years (in some
years a good morning is normally about 4000 bph!). At a rough estimate I'd
say these were about 70% Yellow-faced and 30% White-naped. I also picked up
one Crescent Honeyeater flying amongst them and a flock of 25 pardalotes.

Typical of the fluctuations from one day to the next, the rate has slowed
down to almost nothing this morning.

Cheers

Carol

Carol Probets