birding-aus

new subscriber

To: <>
Subject: new subscriber
From: "Gary Blond" <>
Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 13:25:44 +1000
As new subscriber, wanted to give brief locality census.

I live at Joyner, north of Brisbane. My house in about five minutes walk from Lake Samsonvale and I back onto a farm that contains a large number of gum trees. Every afternoon the trees are the roosting spots for heaps of crows and corellas.
Naturally noisy miners are the usual suspects and are the most regular visitors to the two bird baths in the back garden.

Other regular visitors are magpies, peewees, spotted turtle doves, masked lap wings ( regular nest builders in the grazing paddock! ).

Semi regulars are grey and pied butcherbirds, sulphur crested cockatoos, rainbow lorikeets, scaly breated lorikeets, pale headed rosellas and unfortunately indian miners.

Every now and then visitors are pheasant coucals and currawongs .

The power line towers that can be seen from my back garden are the regular nesting places of a pair of whistling kites. They have been featured in the local newspaper.

Overall, when I do a quick count, the area is well served by bird varieties. Always on the lookout for new birds to my immediate area.

Have enjoyed reading some of the archived mail.

Glad to be part of the bird community.