birding-aus

Canberra birding (including Southern Whiteface at Campbell Park)

Subject: Canberra birding (including Southern Whiteface at Campbell Park)
From: "Nicholas Talbot" <>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:59:53 +1000
Hi,
During a trip to Canberra over the weekend I managed to do a few
birdwatching trips. These included Campbell park (twice), Tidbinbilla and
the Jerrabombera wetlands. The result was 61 species for the trip including
one new bird for me, the Speckled Warbler.

I was pleasantly surprised by the number of species I saw in the suburbs of
Canberra and this helped to make up for the fact that Tidbinbilla was still
suffering as a result f the bushfires and there was no water in the
wetlands. The suburban birds I found included lots of King Parrots,
Yellow-rumped Thornbills, White-winged Choughs and Red-rumped Parrots (lots
of the last two species right outside Old Parliament House). I also found a
female Flame Robin and an Eastern Yellow Robin in the parklands.

The highlight of the trip was the two visits to Campbell Park. The first was
late on a cold afternoon so I didn?t wander far. Less than 50 metres from
the car park I found an area with lots of bird activity including Superb
Fairy-wren, Silvereye, Yellow-rumped Thornbill, Weebill and a single
Southern Whiteface. On the second visit I gave myself more time and walked a
reasonable distance through very dry bushland and up a small hill. Again
there seemed to be few birds around except in one area on top of the hill
where there was a lot of activity. The birds included White-throated
Treecreeper, two Golden Whistlers, Yellow-faced Honeyeater, Weebill,
Buff-rumped Thornbill, a male and a female Scarlet Robin and, best of all, a
female Speckled Warbler (a bird that has eluded me in the past, including on
my previous visit to Campbell Park).

At Tidbinbilla about half the walks are still closed and the bushland is
still recovering from the fires. I only saw a few species, including a
Mistletoebird and a pair of Wedge-tailed Eagles near Casuarina. At
Jerrabomberra it was very dry but the birds included Golden-headed
Cisticola, Olive-backed Oriole, Red-browed Finch, Double-barred Finch,
Skylark and White-browed Scrubwren.