birding-aus

Magic birding moments

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Magic birding moments
From: "Trevor Hampel" <>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 21:06:44 +0930
Hi there birders,

Every so often one has a birding "Magic Moment". One such moment occurred
this afternoon just as we were finishing lunch.

We witnessed bathing time at our birdbath with a stunning procession of
birds lining up to bathe. First came the Silvereyes which are irregular
visitors to our garden.

Lining up next were the Chestnut Rumped Thornbills which have been
noticeably absent from our garden for months but are now back in force.

These were elbowed out of the way by the bossy Yellow Rumped Thornbills. By
this time the water was flying everywhere and we had some saturated little
birds everywhere in the bushes and branches nearby.

Next came a solitary Yellow Thornbill, a species I haven't seen in our
garden for a while. At first it seemed a little intimidated by the water
spraying everywhere but soon got into the spirit of things.

All of the aforementioned birds, numbering some 15 individuals in total soon
retired to the branches nearby to preen.

No sooner had the birdbath been vacated but two Singing Honeyeaters and
three White Plumed Honeyeaters came in to take over. Their squabbles over
ownership of the facilities meant more water sprayed everywhere.

As this was occurring a lone Crested Pigeon landed nearby on the ground. It
took one exasperated look at the proceedings and quickly debunked.

All this in the space of five wonderful minutes.

Trevor Hampel
Murray Bridge
South Australia