birding-aus

Recommended distances between trees?

Subject: Recommended distances between trees?
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 22:10:37 +1000
> From: Elizabeth Shaw
>> Sorry for this being so late, but tomorrow morning I have to present a case
> for not chopping a few trees down on a property in the next street and need
> some help now!
>
> What is the maximum distance needed between trees for birds like thornbills,
> small honeyeaters, pardalotes, wattlebirds, fairy-wrens, scrubwrens, etc to
> travel?

Environmental modification will likely increase as well decrease the density
of some species.  Some of the winners may well be from the groups you mention,
e.g Red Wattlebirds and Superb Fairy-wrens.

I guess its too late, but could probably produce some arguments for
suggesting likely losers from the models in:

"Explaining bird species composition and richness in eucalypt-dominated
remnants in subhumid Tasmania" Michael A. MacDonald, J. B. Kirkpatrick
Journal of Biogeography Vol. 30 Issue 9 Page 1415 September 2003

More convincing might be to pick similar areas with more tree cover
removed and look at differences in avifauna, e.g. have the thornbills
gone?

Andrew Taylor