birding-aus

Western Treatment Plant, Werribee

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
From: "Jack Krohn" <>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 21:39:43 +1000
Had a work meeting at WTP this morning, so went down early and gave myself and a colleague a self-guided tour of the southern area (Austin Rd/ The Spit/ Lake Borrie/ Little River estuary/ Paradise Rd) before the meeting.  After the meeting we had a tour of the operational part of the plant which isn't normally accessible to birders.  Tough day at the office...

Highlights in the morning included at least nine Cape Barren Geese at Paradise Rd (where the water level was very high), and an immature White-bellied Sea-Eagle almost hovering into the gusty northerly over Paradise Rd itself (along with two Little Eagles that seemed uncertain what to make of their overgrown cousin); at least two Freckled Ducks perched on a branch and gently snoozing in the southern part of L. Borrie North; and some dozens of Double-banded Plovers on the exposed tidal mudflats at Little River mouth.  Maybe a couple of hundred small waders, probably mostly Red-necked Stints, along the mudflats south-west of Little River Mouth, too far away for definite ID.  Although the tide was well out there were no crakes or rails visible along the river bank, and as a rare event for me no Greenshanks at Greenshank Corner (just upstream of the river mouth).  Lots of Whistling Kites and Swamp Harriers.  The G2 padlock on the Lake Borrie South gate on Beach Rd was just sitting in one link of the chain, so without a "G" key we couldn't get in that way.

In the afternoon the birding highlight was at least a couple of hundred Blue-billed Ducks on what I think must have been Pond 6, south of the main aeration lagoons and settling tanks that comprise Pond 5 in the modern ten-pond treatment sequence.  There were more Blue-billed Ducks on a couple of the other ponds in that area, which is normally off-limits for birding, so something of a bonus.  There was also a Great Crested Grebe offshore of the main outfall.  And at least four Greenshanks on a pond maybe a kilometre or so west of the Conservation lagoon near the main outfall drain.  Also quite a few Swans with flotillas of young cygnets on many of the ponds, including Paradise Rd and Lake Borrie.  A bit of a surpise to see quite a lot of Pacific Black Ducks scattered around the plant, and also a small mob of Wood Ducks at Paradise Rd - I commonly miss both species entirely at WTC.  No Hardheads that we could find, but plenty of Shovelers.

Not a sniff of an Oriental Pratincole anywhere.  Oh, well...

Regards,

    Jack