birding-aus

Broome Bird Observatory

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Broome Bird Observatory
From: "Peter Waanders" <>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 09:20:10 +0930
Hi all

Just spent a very rewarding few days at the BBO, my first time there and
definitely worth it. While the heat and humidity and at times the mozzies
were almost too much to bear for nearly non-stop birding during daylight
hours, I came away with 14 new lifers:
Brown Booby (2)
Broad-billed Sandpiper (no less than 10)
Asian Dowitcher (5)
Swinhoe's Snipe (1)
Pintail Snipe (1) (leg-flagged)
Broad-billed Flycatcher (3)
Red-headed Honeyeater (1)
Yellow White-eye (many)
Mangrove Fantail (many)
White-breasted Whistler (1)
Mangrove Golden Whistler (1)
Dusky Gerygone (1)
Mangrove Gerygone (1)
Western Gerygone (2)

The Broome Bird Observatory is a friendly place and it is great to immerse
oneself fully into birding and bird-related talk over dinner etc.

A few hours stopover in Perth meant I had some time to visit Gleneagle,
Wungong Dam, Bungendore Forest, and Kings Park as recommended by Frank
O'Connor. These produced, among others
Red-capped Parrot
Western Rosella
Blue-backed Fairy-wren
Red-winged Fairy-wren
White-breasted Robin
Western Yellow Robin
Western Thornbill
Rufous Treecreeper
Western Spinebill
Long-billed Black Cockatoo
Short-billed Black Cockatoo.

Thanks to the wardens at BBO and Frank O'Connor.

Cheers

Peter Waanders
Waikerie, South Australia

Birding SA: http://www.riverland.net.au/~peterw