birding-aus

Port Fairy (vic) Pelagic Trip Report, 27 March 2004

To: <>, <>
Subject: Port Fairy (vic) Pelagic Trip Report, 27 March 2004
From: "Rohan Clarke" <>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 16:47:08 +1000
Hi all,

This was not the regular monthly trip that runs off Port Fairy rather it was an
extra Saturday trip that I put on given it's a good time of year for calm
weather and whales. We weren't disappointed! Details follow...

OBSERVERS: David Baker-Gabb, Neils Behrendt (Denmark), Rohan Clarke
(organiser), Mike Clarke, Chris Coleborn, Vincent Ellis (UK), Rob Farnes, Clive
Garland, Paul Hercott, David Parker, Stuart Pell, Kate Splittgerber, Simon
Starr.

WEATHER: Our timing was pretty good as the trip coincided with the edge of a
stable high pressure system that extended over much of Victoria. As we were on
the tail end of the system which had persisted for several days northerly winds
were forecast. Mid-level cloud cover 4/8 had fully cleared by 1100 meant a
mostly sunny day with excellent visibility. Surprisingly mild all day. Winds
were < 5 Kts and variable in the am, increasing from the north-east from 1100,
and rising to ~15 Kts inshore from 1500.

SEA: Initially calm on a 2.5-3 m swell in the am, increasing to a messy 1 m
chop with the wind, on a moderate 3 m SW swell in the pm. Plenty of spray on
the LJPI to harbour leg. A couple sick.

ACTIVITY: Sailed at 0740. Headed out at 13 Kts. Just 25 mins after departing we
encountered two BLUE WHALES, a mother and calf. A Great-winged Petrel soon
after was exceptional in such shallow water. Several Jaegers put in an
appearance and further out we encountered a third BLUE WHALE lunge feeding.
From the 35 fathom mark we started detected good numbers of birds but failed to
realise they were attracted to a serious upwelling event until our return in
the pm. Having crossed the shelf-break, we continued out into pelagic waters.
Our first berley stop was for 55 minutes from 1015 over 200 fathoms @ 38º48.7'S
141º53.5'E. We then motored for 35 minutes to a canyon we had visited a
fortnight earlier (a near perpendicular face rising from 360 to 300 fathoms @
38º50.0'S 141º45.7'E) and berleyed from 1150 to 1300. Very good numbers of
birds that showed plenty of interest in the boat made for a great day day. We
then headed in @ 14 Kts. Encountering 5+ BLUE WHALES at four locations in an
area centered on 38º39.1'S 141º51.9'E. Here patches of water were red with
krill and large numbers of birds where wheeling about. This included a high
count of prions, Yellow-nosed Albatross and Fleshy-footed Shearwaters. With
increasing wind and the clock ticking we continued in.  When inshore, we
cruised the western and northern shores of Lady Julia Percy Island (LJPI) from
15.10 to 15.40. The fur seals provided the usual entertainment and the SOUTHERN
ELEPHANT SEAL seen a fortnight earlier was still present. Docked at 1640.

MAMMALS:

Australian Fur Seals: 1,000's at LJPI and scattered individuals & several
groups of 2 in inshore and offshore waters.

SOUTHERN ELEPHANT SEAL: One immature male ashore in the landing cove at LJPI.
Almost completed it's moult.

BLUE WHALE: Two sightings involving three animals on the way out and four
sightings involving another five animals on the way in. Given so many sightings
I'll post the details (positions/behaviour etc) to mammals-aus and interested
cetacean workers directly.

BIRDS: 26 species of seabird beyond the river mouth indicated excellent
diversity. Yet another Gould's Petrel sighting supports the view that this
species is on the increase (at least in Vic. waters). Highlights are in
capitals. Unless noted otherwise, those listed below were near or beyond the
shelf break (i.e. pelagic).

Little Penguin: 16 (4). 12 inshore, 2 offshore & 2 on LJPI + 1 dead on sea.

Great-winged Petrel: c.90 (50). all pelagic except for 1 inshore over 26
fathoms which is very unusual. 46 nominate race, 4 gouldi at the last berley
point.

GOULD'S PETREL: 1 distant but sustained views

White-headed Petrel: 2 (1). Although only one was seen at any-one-time photos
show there were two individuals.

Fairy Prion: 80 (50). 2-3 inshore, 2 pelagic, and ~80 offshore around krill on
our return. Another 200-300 distant prions mostly offshore were probably this
species

WHITE-CHINNED PETREL: 5 (2). 1 offshore with krill, 4 pelagic

Northern Giant Petrel: 1 imm pelagic

Common Diving Petrel: 1 inshore (distant views)

Short-tailed Shearwater: c.3,300 (2,000). 2,150 inshore, 1,100 offshore, & 50
pelagic.

Fluttering Shearwater: 11 (3) inshore

Fleshy-footed Shearwater: 550 (500), 20 pelagic, 3 inshore, ~530 offshore with
krill.

Wandering Albatross: 3, 2 exulans (stage 4 & 6), 1 probable gibsoni (stage 4).

Black-browed Albatross: nom. race, 45 (20). 30 pelagic, 15 offshore. (10 ads, 7
sub-ads, 3 juv at last berley point)

                                    impavida, 65 (30)  45 pelagic, 20 offshore.
(25 ads, 5 sub-ads at last berley point)

Shy Albatross cauta: 50 (25). 40 pelagic, 10 offshore. (18 adults, 6
sub-adults, 1 juv at last berley point)

Yellow-nosed Albatross: 70 (50). 3 pelagic, ~55 offshore & 10 inshore. (mostly
adults)

BULLER'S ALBATROSS: 2 (1). both ads.

Wilson's Storm-Petrel: 19 (10). 18 pelagic, 1 offshore at krill

White-faced Storm-Petrel: 50 (20), 20 pelagic, 20 offshore, 10 inshore.

GREY-BACKED STORM-PETREL: 2 (2), both in worn plumage and primary moult.

Australasian Gannet: 50 (10) 1 imm pelagic, 10 inshore, 40 offshore.

Black-faced Cormorant: 2 on LJPI.

Arctic Jaeger: 2, 1 light phase, 1 dark phase inshore.

Pomarine Jaeger: 1 inshore

Kelp Gull: 16, 12 adults & 4 juv on LJPI.

Silver Gull: 55 on LJPI.

Crested Tern: 16 (4), 1 pelagic, 5 offshore, 10 inshore.

Dr Rohan Clarke
Threatened Mallee Bird Project
Zoology Department
La Trobe University