birding-aus

Displaying Riflebirds on the Atherton Tablelands (Cairns Highlands)

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Displaying Riflebirds on the Atherton Tablelands (Cairns Highlands)
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:10:40 +1000
Greetings,

This morning I received an excited phone call from a friend who had a Riflebird displaying on a post outside his window.
"Now the female has just landed and is sideling up to him. There are more of them!"

What he had was a group of males. The shorter beaks give the sex away. It is not uncommon for adult males to have a short period of displaying after moulting. In my experience this is usually in April and I have not noticed groups of juveniles displaying to eachother at this time of year.

Have heard the odd Tooth-billed Bowerbird calling in the last week, perhaps the same sort of thing going on.

Immature Koels still around; one following a pair of Currawongs but others independent. Heard a Channel-bill yesterday for the first time in a few weeks.

Saw an Oriental Cuckoo in my yard last week. This is bird 173. I believe I misled you all about my house total in a previous posting. Shame I can't count!

The White-browed Crakes have bred at Hasties Swamp and are not as shy as in previous years. Still not as trusting as those at Fog Dam, NT.

Fig-Parrots and fruit pigeons are in moderate numbers in the village of Yungaburra.

Regards,
Alan

PS Congratulations to the Bushrangers on winning the cricket.