birding-aus

Seawatch, Soldier's Pt., Central Coast of NSW - 13/3

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Seawatch, Soldier's Pt., Central Coast of NSW - 13/3
From: "Robert Quinan" <>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 10:41:55 +1100
Hi All.

Like Edwin and Co. I spent a good part of Saturday seawatching from my usual spot. Not as good a list as Edwin, but still interesting. I'm still learning to ID many seabirds so I couldn't give positive ID's on several suspects, but one easily identified bird was a WHITE TERN, seen in fairly close. I wonder if this is the same bird Edwin saw, as it was heading north. I think I had a second one late in the afternoon, but it was very distant.

Also saw a few Jaegers, including 2 Arctic for sure. But I think I also had a couple of Long-tailed and a possible Pomarine.

The most frustrating bird was a possible Streaked Shearwater, seen distantly. This would have been my first, but I just couldn't be sure!

Like Edwin, most of the Gannets were juv. or imm. with only 2 adults seen.

Other birds were Wedge-tailed, Short-tailed and Fluttering Shearwaters.

On the rocks below were plenty od waders including Golden Plovers, a Whimbrel, Curlew Sandpipers, RN Stints, Grey-tailed Tattlers, Sooty Oystercatchers, Pied and Great Cormorants, Crested and Little Terns.

A very pleasant day, so I'm just off do do it all over again. Let's hope that pesky Streaked SW comes by a bit closer today!

Bye,

Robert Quinan
Central Coast, NSW, Aust.
Email: