birding-aus

More Lajamanu Birds

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: More Lajamanu Birds
From: "Don and Llane Hadden" <>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 14:52:57 +0930

In an earlier posting I noted that there had been no wet season bird entries for Lajamanu in the new Atlas so I mentioned some waterbirds and waders that had arrived. Since then I have added Royal Spoonbill and Magpie Goose.

There is a good selection of honeyeaters. Easily the most common is the Grey-fronted, at least in the surrounding scrub. In the township itself it is the White-plumed. There are very few out of town. Also present are Grey-headed, Rufous-throated, Singing, Spiny-cheeked, Banded, Black-chinned and Brown. Recently at my hide at a waterhole the first birds to drink before sunup were 2 Willie Wagtails closely followed by 2 Gouldian Finches. Soon after a single Painted Finch turned up (the only sighting I've had of this species) and then a Pictorella Mannikin. Zebra finches come and go all the time. Elsewhere I've seen Double-bars. Besides the honeyeaters mentioned above Crested Pigeons, Diamond Doves and Peaceful doves also drank. A dingo wandered out of the scrub stared susupiciously at the hide and turned and trotted away. A small flock of  Major Mitchells came by and later some Budgies and Cockatiels but they didn't drink. A few Ground Cuckooshrikes walked through the grasses enabling a distant photo. Then an adult Brown Goshawk glided in and landed at the water's edge just 3m from the hide. It spent at least 15mins bathing, preening, drinking and just standing quietly. It looked magnificent through the lens. In fact it was so close it looked magnificent with the naked eye. Not one other bird visited the pool while it was there. Just after the sun had set a Pheasant  Coucal emerged from the scrub and tiptoed down to the pool. It was the last bird to drink for the day. I had seen Common Bronzewings  in the vicinity and anticipated that they would be the last to drink as they usually wait till evening but none came. Throughout the day Striated and Red-browed Pardalotes called.

More later

Don Hadden

has notified the sender that this message has been received.