birding-aus

Rose Robin

To: <>
Subject: Rose Robin
From: "Ricki Coughlan" <>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 17:39:38 +1100
G'day All

Autumn must definately be upon us. I bumped into a birder last week on the south end of Lady Carrington Drive (Royal National Park) who said he heard a Rose Robin calling from a distant tree-top. A little fanciful this early in the season, I thought at the time. However I decided to keep my eyes open and ears tuned for them them this week and sure enough I spotted one of these delightful little fellows very actively foraging in a group of acacias about 5 metres from the ground. The Variagated and Superb Fairy Wrens are looking a little drab and the family units seem to have become somewhat looser. Rufous Fantails and Black-faced Monarchs are fewer in number and those that remain have very advanced young, whilst the Brown Cuckoo-Doves, who seemed to increase nicely in numbers over the summer, appear to have finished all nesting and young raising activity. Other species are on the move, with a few sightings of large flocks up high (couldn't identify) moving along the lines of the river and escarpment in a northerly direction.

If these are all not sure signs, the large flocks of Topnot pigeons (one 25+ and another between 15 and 20) moving back into the fig trees puts the sealer on it. Don't you love the changes of season?

I'd love to read about others' observations on these seasonal changes.

Ricki - Sans Souci, Sydney