birding-aus

Fw: Grey Goshawks at Buckley's Falls, Fyansford

Subject: Fw: Grey Goshawks at Buckley's Falls, Fyansford
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 10:19:41 +1100

Last night i went to see if the Goshawks where around.  Unfortunatley, no sign of them, but there was one Brown Goshawk in the area,

As i was driving down into the valley though, i caught a splash of white in a small bush on the steep valley incline of the Fyansford Deviation.  I pulled over to check if it was the goshawks, and was suddenly surrounded by 70-80+ Gang Gang Cockatoos.  They landed in small 5-6 foot high bushes fruiting with red berries, with each bush containing about 20 Gang Gang's each. Amazing!  For such small bushes, you could barely  see the foliage through the Gang Gang's busily feeding the berries.  Each bush had a mixture of Male, Female and Juvenile birds, with a large variety of plumage differences and different stages of crest development etc.  It was such a fantastic thing to experience, and i managed in my excitement to get a few photos and video's despite the rather ordinary lighting conditions.

I took a photo of the berries they were feeding on, and would appreciate an ID from anyone experienced with plants.

Is this number of Gang Gang's significant? I certainly haven't seen them in these number before.

Peter

----- Forwarded by Peter Fuller/Callista on 04/03/2004 10:18 AM -----
Peter Fuller/Callista

03/03/2004 02:03 PM

cc
"Birdline Weekly Update" <>
Subject
Grey Goshawks at Buckley's Falls, Fyansford

There were 3 white morph Grey Goshawks down at Buckleys Falls near Fyansford,  Geelong on Monday evening.

I'll check on them again tonight to see if they are still in the area.

If anyone would like directions, please contact me.

Peter