birding-aus

RE: Port Fairy pelagic logistics

To: "'Rohan Clarke'" <>
Subject: RE: Port Fairy pelagic logistics
From: David Parker <>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 10:08:40 +1100
Rohan, and others

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to the weekend.

When on the Pelagic at E'hawk Neck you may remember me telling you about the
dead shearwaters at the Eddystone Lighthouse up on Tassies north-east coast
(north of St. Helens). I counted 22 Short-tailed and 3 Little Shearwaters.

Since returning home one of the Parks Rangers replying to my question
informed me that this event occurs every year when the shearwaters are in
the area. They fly into the light at night time.

Is this common elsewhere?

An ethical twitching question - Do dead birds count in ones tally?

Cheers
David

David Parker
Fauna Project Officer