birding-aus

A ten Rockwarbler day

Subject: A ten Rockwarbler day
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 18:58:39 +1100
Isn't it always the way. Late on Sunday afternoon I was trying to find
Rockwarblers for some visiting birders from the US. I took them out onto a
long rocky ridge in the Blue Mountains, a regular site - and though we
searched for ages, clambering over rocks in the squally wind, the birds
didn't appear. On returning to the car, as an afterthought I checked a
nearby rock platform.... and there were three, foraging right next to the
carpark. My visitors were thrilled.

However the next day it became obvious our effort had been unnecessary. It
seemed that almost everywhere we went, a pair of Rockwarblers would emerge
and hop unconcernedly around our feet. We had good views of no less than
ten at various locations in the upper Blue Mountains. Perhaps it's been a
good season for them.

The Rockwarbler that I wrote about previously has been visiting my garden
close to the centre of Katoomba every day for over a month now. Today it
spent quite a lot of time exploring the underside of my parked vehicle -
poking around on the wheels, axles, diff, etc.

Cheers

Carol

Carol Probets
Katoomba