birding-aus

Prsopect Reservoir (western Sydney, NSW) - 29th Feb 2004

To: <>
Subject: Prsopect Reservoir (western Sydney, NSW) - 29th Feb 2004
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 19:30:10 +1100
Yesterday morning (Sunday 29th February, 2004) I was with Tony Saunders (our records officer from the Cumberland Bird Observers Club) back in my local patch at Prospect Reservoir (near Blacktown, approx. 40 km west of Sydney CBD) and enjoyed seeing a good mix of woodland and forest birds and a few water birds as well. Prospect Reservoir was given Heritage status a year or so ago for its significant water bird habitat and the large remnant of Cumberland plain woodland surrounding the reservoir which provides important habitat for our declining woodland birds and many endangered and almost extinct flora. I have been surveying this woodland and the reservoir itself over the last few months which is not yet open to the public but is planned to be in the near future.

Some of the (more so local) interesting things included a a few Great Crested Grebes (most of the 100-200 previously there have departed), over 100 Australian Pelicans, a Grey Goshawk, 9 Whistling Kites (all together perched in 2 adjacent trees), Brown Quail, Common Bronzewing (locally rare), Little Lorikeets (feeding in some flowering eucalypts), Fan-tailed and Shining Bronze-cuckoos, Spine-tailed Swifts (at least 7 birds in 2 seperate groups), Crested Shrike-tit, Variegated Wren (a few groups inhabit the northern section of Prsopect Resevoir and is more so a bird of the Sydney sandstone and unusual on the Cumberland plain), Rufous Fantail, Weebill, White-throated Gerygone, Scarlet Honeyeater (only a female left behind from the large numbers seen early in the season), small groups of Noisy Friarbirds and Olive-backed Orioles passing through, lots of Yellow-faced Honeyeaters in one area, several Mistletoebirds (including some young birds), Straited Pardalote and Chestnut-breasted Mannikins in the reeds.

When I visited Prospect Reservoir a month or so ago, I saw my first 2 Bell Miners for the area and was wondering if they were going to establish a colony (well I hope not). I have not checked the area where I did see them since that time, but the area looks ideal for them with tall Forest Gums (Eucalyptus teriticornis) and an understorey of Lantana and other weeds.

There are also currently lots of Musk Lorikeets (with many Rainbow Lorikeets) in the Blacktown area feeding in the flowering Grey Box (Eucalyptus moluccana) with our local Peregrine Falcon keeping a watchful eye.

Edwin Vella