birding-aus

Re; King Penguin SUPPOSED secrecy

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Re; King Penguin SUPPOSED secrecy
From: "Bob Green" <>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:13:55 +1030
Tony Russell wrote
Further to my note of last night re the King Penguin.  Is it just possible that some of our birding fraternity have slipped back into secrecy mode ?   Interesting that some members knew about this rare visitor as early as last Wednesday and apparently rang around some of their mates, but nothing was put on birding-aus until Sunday night/Monday morning, which may have been too late.
As it happened myself and some others were fortunate that the bird was still there yesterday, but many more ( i.e. working people) could have had the chance to see it if it had been reported on b-a before the weekend.
Tony.

Hi all.
After not being able to log on to BAus since Monday which I contacted Andrew Taylor about and now can, I find with SHOCK the accusations flowing about the cover-up and supposed sharing info with mates.
The reason I see this as a personal attack is this I am the person who notified Mike Carter and Colin Rogers.
To set the record straight if any of the list members kept it a secret from Wed then who are they Tony?
I first heard about it late on Fri night and it was a very vague, scetchy report of a King Penguin that had apparently been seen on a beach somewhere in our area and had swum out to sea. I notified both Colin Rogers and Mike Carter of thi on Sat afternoon after not being able to gather any better info, Rob Farnes then contacted me Sat night and all I could tell him was that it had apparently been seen in our area, I didn't even know near which town. I received a phone call Sun morning from a local (non-birder I add) to tell me that it had been seen on Sat and whereabouts. I went down almost immediately to investigate. Rob Farnes was there when I got there. I notified one Port Mac birder and one Mt. Gambier birder while I was there, on my return home I started letting people know.
I did not know that Colin Rogers was in Tas so assumed that Colin would let people know, when I found out where he was I tried to ring John Cox but he had changed his number and I got hold of David Harper who happened to have J Cox visiting. From there on the report spread. My posting to Birding Aus was sent from my computer at 9.47 after first seeing the penguin at about 1230
Were you one of the birdos that came down  with John Cox?
The kind of message where the sender goes off with only half the info they need to make an informed opinion should remain in the trash.
Personally I thought that the network spread the message fairly quickly and efficiently.
If anyone can think of a way to let people know about sightings before we see them then please let me know.
Isn't it lucky I rang around some of my mates.

Bob Green