birding-aus

Buff-breasted Sandpiper at Ash Island Ponds

To: <>
Subject: Buff-breasted Sandpiper at Ash Island Ponds
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 17:30:38 +1100
Hi Birders,

Many thanks to Bob Way who alerted Birding-aus to the presence of the Buff-breasted Sandpiper at the Ash Island Ponds on 13/2/04 and to Edwin Vella for providing more details on 14/2/04 of its exact location
.
Anne and I visited the ponds this morning between 9.20 & 10.30 am and with the help of Dick Jenkyn who pointed out where it had been seen earlier in the morning, had no trouble finding the bird. It was feeding near the edge of Wagtail Way, in what I know as Crake Corner, about 2m in from the edge of the road, on the right hand side facing north. It was feeding with a group of about 12 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers and all the salient features including the bright yellow legs were easily seen. I suppose that as we walked along Wagtail Way, we were within 8m of the bird and neither it nor the Sharpies flew away. However there was a falcon/hobby around putting up the swallows and small waders, and after 20 minutes the waders flew off when the falcon/bhobby made another swoop.

When the waders departed we went looking for the Yellow Wagtail reported by Edwin Vella in a mangrove lined creek about 150 m to the north. We did not find this bird but did see Cisticolas, Tawny Grassbird, Pipit, more Sharpies and Black-fronted Plover and White-fronted Chats. On our return to the BBSP site a Hobby flew onto the cross bar of Pole 24 and the waders departed once again. Other raptores seen around and near the site included Whistling Kite and Swamp Harrier while further south on Wagtail Way there were plenty of Marsh Sandpipers and Greenshanks. There is a Red-capped Plover's nest with 2 eggs close to, but on the other side of the road, to where the BBSP was seen. A Double-banded Plover was also present in the vicinity. A pleasant morning at Ash Island!

This record would be the seventh record for NSW viz Botany Bay 4-18/4/1965, Kooragang Island 10/3/1979, Bakers Lagoon 19/12/1982-9/1/1983 and then Bushells Lagoon 21/2-6/3/1983, Lake Bathurst twice in the 1990s and Bushells Lagoon 14-15/12/2003. Interesting that the seven records only relate to 4 sites (Ash Island is in fact part of Kooragang Island), there would appear to be some site loyalty by this species.

Alan Morris