birding-aus

SEQ moments

Subject: SEQ moments
From: Judith Lukin-Amundsen <>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 15:41:10 +1000
I've had some nice birding moments, recently:

- Though all my books definitely say that the Paradise Riflebird has two youngsters, at O'Reilly's last week I saw a female feeding three young... None of my books give info on the markings of the fledglings, but it did seem to me that where the adult female's chest 'barring' was in chevrons, as the books do say, the youngsters' breasts were more actually barred (narrow stripes), more like the pictures of the adult female Magnificent Riflebird.

- Saw a little scrub-wren hopping along with an Albert's Lyrebird - V.pretty association! (O'Reilly's)

- Saw a fantail fanning and hopping back-&-forth along the branch, around a little white-headed Sitella - This made the fantail look quite big! (Mt Mee)

And
- are Koels known to return to the same tree each year? There's a particular heavily-vined tree beyond my office window where there seems to be one every year - Could it be the same fellow? (Clayfield)
--

Judith