birding-aus

"stained" birds

Subject: "stained" birds
From: Paul Taylor <>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:39:58 +1100
Gary Davidson wrote:
Ring-billed Gulls sometimes develop a pinkish wash on their breast
> and belly.  This is caused by foods that they eat.  I'm sorry but
> I've forgotten the details on this one, but I think shrimp is one
> of the food items that is rich in the chemical that causes this
> colour change.

The chemical would be a carotenoid, probably Astaxanthin
derived from beta carotene.  It's the same chemical which
makes flamingos pink.  The shrimp concentrate the carotenoids
from algae; the algae is what gives some salt lakes their pink
colour, and in some places the salt is commercially harvested
to extract the carotenoids for dietary supplements.