birding-aus

Another source for Aboriginal ornithology

To: "" <>
Subject: Another source for Aboriginal ornithology
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 18:09:19 +1100
Can't think how, in my last message, I came to miss mentioning a very
useful source for Top End birds-
"Birds of Australia's Top End" by Denise Lawungkurr Goodfellow with
Michael Stent (Scrubfowl Press, Parap, NT; 2001; ISBN 0-9578849-0-7).
It gives a lot of Kunwinjku names and cultural information, or what we
used to call 'folklore' before that term was seen as somehow offensive..

I am very sad when I think how much of this information has been
completely lost in Victoria and Tasmania, along with the people whose
domain it was.

Anthea Fleming