birding-aus

Expansion of port botany

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Expansion of port botany
From: "Whittaker, Mark" <>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 23:52:12 +1100
Does anyone know if Birds Australia has a position on the proposed container
terminal expansion at Port Botany, which, from my look at the proposal, will
radically alter Penrhyn estuary.

Botany Beach and the estuary will be enclosed by the new port facilities
(which will, reportedly, reclaim 100 football fields worth of bay) and that
little spit where the pair of little terns bred this season will, instead of
having dune scrub behind it, have rail lines and a "truck rail interchange".

It doesn't seem like the sort of thing they can get away with doing these
days. but they are. I want to get angry but I don't know where to do it.

mark whittaker