birding-aus

Stilt Sandpiper at Stockton (Newcastle) NSW - 7th Feb 2004

To: <>
Subject: Stilt Sandpiper at Stockton (Newcastle) NSW - 7th Feb 2004
From: "simon starr" <>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 21:20:36 +1100
Hi Edwin and all,
It certainly sounds like you may well have found a Stilt Sandpiper.
I saw a couple of vagrant Stilt Sandpipers while living in the UK and found them to be quite different structurally from Curlew Sandpipers.There was never any questioning the ID.
After a few years of chasing around after other peoples rare bird finds in the UK it became clear that the birds are out there,it just needs people out there looking with a little expertise.Between the 1970's and the 1990's in Britain the number of birders with good id knowledge went thru the roof and so have rare bird findings.Waders particularly being such long distance migrants seem to end up all over the place.
Compared with UK wetlands Australia is by nature vastly underwatched but I'm sure the rarities are there to find,so like Edwin lets all keep our eyes tuned!!
Regards Simon Starr.