birding-aus

Colour-banded Oystercatchers

To: <>, <>
Subject: Colour-banded Oystercatchers
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 12:08:00 +1100
Hi Birders,
Recently while travelling in Victoria during my summer holidays I came across two colour-banded Oystercatchers. I wonder if there is any one out there who could provide some information about the history of these two birds?

Pied Oystercatcher seen at Lake Tyers (37 51 11 S, 148 05 06 E) on 24/01/04

Left blue/white/red, Right yel/white/metal. The top yellow band on the right leg was faded.This bird was feeding with four other birds, two other adults and two immatures.

An adult Sooty Oystercatcher seen at Picnic Bay, Wilsons Promatory NP (39 00 56 S, 146 17 40 E) on 28/01/04, one of a pair on the beach

Left red/white/orange, Right yel/yel/metal

Alan Morris