birding-aus

RE: First message - and thanks Carol

To: "Carol Probets" <>, <>
Subject: RE: First message - and thanks Carol
From: "Robert Gosford" <>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 21:37:36 +1100
Carol -

Congratulations on a well observed and recorded story and I look forward to
reading more like it. Lots of question - how often does this occur, when,
with what birds etc etc. I would encourage all subscribers to write as well
as Carol, to present their observations and to record data with appropriate
field notes that at least contain basic field information - bird/s, number,
behaviour, date, place, time, method etc etc.

I am not saying that subscribers don't do this already, I just think that it
may improve the value of the Archives (for example) as a valuable tool for
research because the data collected may reveal some common threads over
time - more so perhaps if subscribers choose, as happens elsewhere, to break
into discrete groups (waders, raptors, acanthizids, behaviourists etc) and
continue those more focussed considerations elsewhere. Maybe this already
happens. I've perused the archives for years but joined only recently and
look forward, usually with good reason, to a pile of new daily notes in my
inbox. This is my first contribution.

I have for some time been interested in australian aboriginal ornithology
and my research in this area has revealed much, not only about the history
of australian ornithology in the western tradition, but also about the
distinct lack of recognition of an australian aboriginal ornithology - in
literature or in practise. As I commented in my paper at the AOC in
December, it is a sad reflection on both past and present australian
ornithology that the most comprehensive recording of australian aboriginal
ornithological knowledge is found between the covers of Gould's "Handbook to
the Birds of Australia" - published in 1865.

My other abiding interest is photography and I look forward to presenting
some of my better attempts during the year. Step one is to buy a film
scanner. Step two is to cull the thousands of slides and negs. Step three is
to buy a Nikon D2H and the new Nikon 200-400 VR zoom. Step four is to find a
way to pay for them. Nothing changes.

Like many correspondents I've also been saddened by the (seemingly annual)
bad news stories about Little Terns in particular and the other wanderers in
general that find their way to the south coast of New South Wales. I know
that without dedicated (much more than me) guardians and recorders of these
sea and shore-birds like Darryl Mckay (should be noiminated for an AO in the
Qeens Birthday honours), Mike Jarman and Gillian Keating (to name a few)
even more damage and loss would be suffered. While I sympathise with the
calls for condine and summary physical punishment of the perpetrators (bring
back the stocks!!)I am as much at a loss as to how to address these issues
as most others seem. Further loss and disintegration of coastal habitat to
unreasoned development certainly will not help.

We may have to develop a paid warden scheme (similar but perhaps expanded
from the NPWS roles that Mike & Gillian perform on the south coast) with a
well-supported volunteer cohort and expansion of the capacity for and
application of rapid intervention that could involve increased use of
electric-fencing of various sizes, fox baiting and shooting/trapping, the
rigorous regulation of particular canine and human behaviour and more
prosecutions for breaches of stronger laws. This will all require money and
there are no elections (other than Federal) on the horizon. I also note that
there does not seem to be the broader support for the environment that is
evident in other parts of the state - the south coast has always - somewhat
thankfully - been a bit of a backwater - some community attitudes here seem
to be changing - but slowly.

Increased intervention in support of birds (particulary the summer coastal
nesters)and carefully crafted public education programs and involvement may
go some way to ensuring that the LT get close to population replacement
levels more frequently. The south coast has had a patchy record of great
returns in some areas in some years and some horrible failings - usually
caused by some inappropriate activity or behaviour by humans, their pets or
their machines. The LTs remain, I believe, listed as vulnerable in NSW.

I know that at small coastal villages like Culburra (adjacent to the
"should-be-Ramsar-listed" Lake Wollumboola)supporters of the Little Tern and
the lake habitat face the most perplexing and frustrating campaign of
political manipulation, blatant mis-information, wilful ignorance and public
condemnation - all for supporting a few birds and a lake that smells
occasionally!! Villages like this, and the people that live in them, will
always remain a public education challenge - it is heartening to see that
the NPWS have adopted a new approach. Here the NPWS, rather than educating
those that do not want to be educated, have looked to school children and
actively involve them in work related to the LTs - on the ground. This year
there was a Japanese connection - with a Japanese researcher talking to the
kids about the similar challenges that LT populations face in that country.
Made for great press - happy birds, happy kids.

The sooner that they incorporate Lake Wollumboola into the neighbouring
Jervis Bay Marine National Park (and make it a Ramsar site)the better.
Jervis Bay beautiful one day - even better the next.

Enough ranting.
Thanks again Carol.

Robert Gosford