birding-aus

Black Kites on the Hume

Subject: Black Kites on the Hume
From: Deb Colbourne <>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 22:37:15 -0800 (PST)
Hi All,
The Black Kites that Steve saw on the Hume are regular
along that stretch as well as a bit further north near
Longwood. They are also reasonably regular along the
Midland Highway near Shepparton, but are infrequent
apart from those spots.
Having sold our patch of bush in Upotipotpon, we are
now the owners of 174acres of a very different patch
nearby, thankfully still Upotipotpon. This presents a
new and interesting challenge, replanting agricultural
land and a long term monitoring exercise to see what
species we can attract back to formally cropped
paddocks.
Our only habitat is a stand of 40 mature Grey Box and
a Red Gum creekline, with some extremely large trees
and two dams. We have already recorded 65 bird
species, including Black-winged Stilt, Plumed
Whistling-duck, Crested Shrike-tit, breeding Brown
Treecreeper, Little Button-quail and Grey-crowned
Babbler. We are going to experiment with different
types of planting, from dense islands for species like
Whistler to scattered trees and hopfully direct
seeding with native grass. We probably won't see all
the benefits in our lifetime, but in the short-term
it'll keep us quiet for a while!

Cheers
Debbie