birding-aus

Lockyer Valley Little Curlews still present

To: "gavin goodyear" <>
Subject: Lockyer Valley Little Curlews still present
From: knightl <>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:33:44 +1000
Following on from Gavin's note, I finally got lucky this morning at Lk Atkinson - I had been poking about in the back blocks of the dam, and had a yak with a local grazier who commented that they'd been having a drought for a decade - clearly apparent with a sign saying "no power boats beyond this point" over 500 metres from the edge of the water. I came back through the electric fence and had just observed a group of 5 ground cuckoo-shrikes doing their apostlebird routine, when the pair of little curlews blew in. They came in high, and vaguely snipe-like
[obviously without the long bill] and alighted near the fence.  I got
some distant views and photographs before they scarpered and some heavy showers started to roll in.

My impression of the birds is that they tend to fly further when
disturbed or when the whim takes them, so that it is quite possible
that whether you see them in a particular location is the luck of the
draw.

Regards, Laurie.