birding-aus

Some good birding close to Melbourne

To: Birding_aus <>
Subject: Some good birding close to Melbourne
From: J and A Flack <>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 21:29:51 +1100 (EST)
Hi All,

This afternoon I made a quick visit to Westgate Park
(about 5km West of Melbourne's CBD) and had excellent
views of Red-capped Plover, Black-fronted Dotterel and
Whiskered Tern.

Yesterday I cycled home via the Maribyrnong bike
track. Stopping at a wide reed filled culvert and I
soon located one Latham's Snipe, then another,
followed by two more flying off. I had 'crippling'
views even with my ancient 7x35 binocs.  There were a
couple of Clamorous Reed-Warbler right out in the open
as well. This area (about 7 km NW of Melb.) used to be
almost completely inaccessible, but with a recent
redevelopment you can now get views through a chain
mesh fence on its southern bank.

Immediately behind me was a small flock of (approx.
12) Crested Pigeons. I was also delighted to see a
fledgling Dusky Woodswallow, presumably the offspring
of a pair that I have seen there on two previous
visits. This is the only spot I regularly see Duskies
so close to the CBD.

If you would like to try this spot there is parking at
Pipemaker's Park (I have had some good sightings there
in the past as well) about 500 metres to the North.
Good luck!

Cheers,

Alan Flack.