birding-aus

Some Moreton Bay locations, Brisbane, SEQ

To: "Richard Coombes" <>, "Tim Meredith" <>
Subject: Some Moreton Bay locations, Brisbane, SEQ
From: "Colin R" <>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 08:47:23 +1000
Hi All
        Visited Wynnum North, Fisherman?s Island and Manly Boat harbour
(Brisbane, SE qld)  yesterday at high tide.
        Firstly, the ponds at Whyte Island have been almost completely drained
and the only bird present was a White faced Heron feeding on God knows what. I
think Patrick Corp ?own? the area and with it being of little recognisable
value??? it?s a real pity as the ponds were swarming with birds a few weeks
ago. One wonders where they go now?
        Secondly ? I?m not sure if I?m seeing the advertised ?roost? created by
Port of Brisbane Authority, but the area I assumed was it last year, has been
usually flooded this year providing little exposed mud/sand for the waders.
Hence there has been a much smaller number visible from the road. I have only
been there at high tide ? maybe it?s different at low? There were a few Curlew
and Sharp-tailed Sands and a handful of Red-necked Stints just in sight at the
edge of the water.
        I returned to the Wynnum North roost, without stopping at the POBA
Visitor?s centre, and walked out to the hide. Despite checking (approx) 400
Bar-tailed Godwit and 110 Black-tailed Godwits ? they were all Godwits. Has
anyone seen any Dowitchers around SEQ this year? (50) Sharpies, (60)
Grey-tailed Tattlers, (5) Marsh Sands, (20) Grey Teal, (200) Whimbrel and (50)
Curlew (all numbers approx!), huddled from the early morning heat or moved
sluggishly. Even the (30) Curlew Sands usually energetic feeders looked sleepy
and it was only 7.30am! 5 Chestnut-breasted Mannikins flew up and 2 Brown Quail
calling from the long grass on the walk back - and I nearly ran over a
Buff-banded Rail as I drove from the car park!
        I headed along the sea front to Manly Boat Harbour checking the Silver
Gulls on the way for any ?stragglers? ? always worth a look along here, I
remember seeing a Kelp Gull here in the early 80s.
With high tide at approx 9.30am the roost was about half full at 8.00. A
strong north-easterly was blowing and most of the waders were huddled at
the north end facing into the strong breeze. (700) Bar-tailed Gods, (30)
Curlew and 3 Sharp-tailed Sands, 8 Greenshanks, 89 Oystercatchers, (50)
Grey-tailed Tattlers, 15 Caspian Terns, 2 Red-capped Dotterels,  (60)
Great Knot, (20) Whimbrel and (60) Curlew (all numbers in brackets are
approximations) with a few more Bar-tailed Godwits arriving before I left
at 9.00am. The roost did not look as populated as earlier in the season?
I guess the numbers fluctuate. I didn?t, for example, see any Terek Sands
and have only seen a few here this year, compared to previous years and
numbers.
        9.00 and the heat was enormous. I left and headed for an
air-conditioned cinema, I don?t envy the birds standing out in the sun, but
then again it probably beats the northern winter!
--
  Colin Reid

So many birds, so little time......