birding-aus

Occasional Report from South West Gippsland - Victoria

To: "Birding-Aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Occasional Report from South West Gippsland - Victoria
From: "Max Boyd Richards" <>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 13:56:38 +1100
We have now been down on out little farm for about 8 months.  It is located between Korumburra and Leongatha (Victoria) where the principal occupation by the real farmers is dairying and beef cattle. Loads of cleared land.

Alas we only get down on weekends.  .  Despite this our "verandah" list grows and it very exciting to add a new one to our list.  We have resident family of Blue Wrens who have added two (but it could three) to their family.  White browed scrub wrens ( one of whom is tailless, but doesn't seem to stop him)and brown thornbills have also called our place their home.  Add the Welcome swallows who live in carport, who added two to their family and we have a lovely family group.

The maggies and the ravens live in the paddocks and cypress's and pines.  However we do have visitors

Kookaburra's teaching their young how to laugh, a group of European Gold Finches who have been in our area since mid October, we have had two visits from Yellow Faced honeyeaters, one in October and the second last weekend when two arrived in a very heavy downpour.  Also a surprise last weekend was a sole Silver Eye the last time we saw was in September.  A family of Eastern Rosella's turned up last Saturday and we haven't see them since early December.  The Crimsons are alway around somewhere and we eagerly await return of of the Yellow Tailed Black cockatoos

It was big weekend for birds.  oh we nearly forgot the Tree Martins (x 10) who also graced our paddock (they were a new one for the list).  The downside to our lovely weekend was the arrival of a flock of common mynas and starlings.  We are hoping that they don't like the place and POQ.  Of course there are many more but last weekend was a bit of a standout

The highlight of our weekend was the fly by the Wedge Tailed eagle.  It always seems to be getting close to dusk and he simply glides past our verandah about 30 metres off the ground and 75 meters from the verandah.  It has happened enough now for us to rush for the binos as soon as we hear the maggies and the ravens going off their faces.  Fantastic

As amateurs we are of course envious of all the special species that are reported on birding-aus but we are happy with our lot and the list is growing.  Happy new year birders

Max & Jocelyn  Boyd Richards

Kardella South

South West Gippsland