birding-aus

Pizzey & Knight Ed 7

To: <>, <>
Subject: Pizzey & Knight Ed 7
From: "Peter Johnson (ITD)" <>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 15:22:11 +1000
Hello Peter

Thanks for your message regarding ed. 7. As a very amateur bird watcher I was a little surprised with all the negative comment that flowed pre-Christmas especially after browsing the new edition myself. I was most delighted to receive a copy as a Christmas gift and further detailed scrutiny and comparison with ed.6 failed to dampen my enthusiasm for this my fourth copy of this publication!

I thought your comments on the other aspects, contained within a field guide to assist identification, were very apt. I recall many years ago my first sighting of a Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater - it was very late in the day with fading light and I was drawn to the distinct alarm call of the bird (not knowing at the time of course). When I spotted a pair of Spiny-cheeked Honeyeaters, I was unsure as to whether they were responsible for the call. A quick flick to P & K led me to SCH, but it was the identification of the alarm call as  a distinctive "tok" that confirmed this lifer for me. Nothing could describe the call to such perfection and P&K has been my constant companion since.

Edition 6 now sits proudly on the bookshelf along side 5 and 4. Thanks for such a great publication.

Cheers

Peter