birding-aus

Spotted Crake - and 2003 - in SE Melbourne

To: Birdline Victoria <>
Subject: Spotted Crake - and 2003 - in SE Melbourne
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 07:20:48 +1100
A Spotted Crake has been on the Sandringham Golf Links since it was spotted by
Pat and Ivor Salkin at the wetland where we do our frog survey. I took some
photos yesterday.

That brings the City of Bayside list for 2003 to 132, exceeding the previous
highest of 130 in 1994 even though that 2003 total does not include domestic
Mallard breeds, a dead Brown Quail by the road, a beach-cast Painted
Button-quail and Barbary Dove (which may be breeding ferally here and seem, to
judge by the SOAB report in the latest Wingspan, as established). The
cumulative Bayside total is 239 including mallards.

I missed out on 13 species in 2003, including the Little Bittern although I did
take care of it for a while after it became a "specimen".  And I only heard the
Koel.  The last record of it was on 24/12 when Jim Beruldsen saw a male just
behind his back yard.

25 species were recorded in 1994 and not 2003: honeyeaters, cuckoos and robins
account for much of the difference. Some seen in 2003 could well have been
refugees from the fires etc.

Wishing all a good 2004 and sending thanks to you all for records, support and
help locally, on Birding-Aus, Birdline Vic..... in 2003.

Michael Norris
Bayside Friends of Native Wildlife
Hampton, Victoria  38° 56' S  145° 1' E