birding-aus

Terns @ Atkinson's Dam

To: "Christopher" <>
Subject: Terns @ Atkinson's Dam
From: knightl <>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 18:44:58 +1000
G'day Chris,

Yes, there are quite a few WW terns out at Lk Atkinson at the moment. I think that at least 10% of the marsh terns there are WWs. I also dipped on the little curlews both times I went out there, even though I circumnavigated the main water body. The only wading birds of note were a dozen glossy ibis, a species I don't see in great numbers around SEQ.

What I find interesting about Lk Atkinson is the almost complete absence of the waders you find in abundance at nearby Bill Gunn Dam - no marsh sandpipers, no sharpies, no black fronted or red kneed dotterels, no snipe etc, and very few BW stilts. Just a flock of avocets and a couple of godwits. I guess it must have something to do with the large number of cattle about.

Regards, Laurie.