birding-aus

reflecting on 2003

Subject: reflecting on 2003
From: "jade welch" <>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 22:23:57 +1000
Hi All,

Due to previous years when i was at school etc i could not go away on weekends either due to endless amounts of homework or other commitments so my new years resolution was to do more birding in 2003 as i had finished school (but started a full time Job). I have lived up to my promise and birdwatched in 2 states this year and they are Victoria for 2 weeks and Queensland for the rest of my time when not working. The number of lifers i saw in 2003 was 118 and so far in my life i have seen a total of 187 bird species. For one year i am satisfied and will continue to watch for more.

My favourite species for 2003 would be all the species of raptor i observed (i'm a real raptor fan), Mistletoebirds, Chestnut teal, Topknot Pigeons (the rainforest Topknot that is), Pheasant Coucals, Channel-billed Cuckoos and White-throated Needletail's. My favourite birding would have been in Lamington National Par, My local Park, out to sea with Paul Walbridge (and others), and in Victoria.

I would like to thank everyone on birding aus particularly those that answered my questions or helped me in someway. The year 2004 see's me surveying my local park which is approaching 100 species so i can have ago at providing sitings for the ongoing Atlas which is run by Birds Australia. To those of you looking to see some great Tahiti Petrels and other sea birds i highly recommend watching for the posts of Paul Walbridge and to you Victorians i must say GO YOU MIGHTY LIONS. Once again to you all thanks for your help and i hope this year brings more lifers and maybe swarovskis for your Birdday i mean Birthday.

Yours Sincerely
Mr Jade Welch
Gold Coast,
Queensland