birding-aus

Long-billed Corellas in QLD

To: "Graeme Petersen" <>
Subject: Long-billed Corellas in QLD
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 17:08:08 +1100
The whole question of the recent spread of both Corella species is still an open issue. As in this has happened throughout many towns and cities in eastern Australia. It is unknown either way but probably due to deliberate or accidental introduction. They are common as pets but I think they would be pretty annoying in the house after a while, so it would be escape or release of cage birds, wild breeding of these birds, along with natural spread of populations (although this latter is easier to comprehend for the Little Corella). Whether the history is the same or differs between the two species is also a mystery. It is worth mentioning also that the Galah has also spread similarly, although that happened many decades before, and so earlier than the memory of most of us on the scene now. The Galah was rare in the Canberra Region early in the 20th century but is now our most common species here.

Philip