birding-aus

EDITHVALE WETLANDS, SE of Melbourne

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: EDITHVALE WETLANDS, SE of Melbourne
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 16:43:33 -0000

On Friday 19 December, Andrew Silcocks & I spent 5.75 hours doing the regular monthly census of birds of the Edithvale Wetlands, SE of Melbourne. Water levels are dropping so the area is about to be at it’s most productive. We recorded 36 species of wetland dependant birds and raptors and 25 non-wetland species. Among the more interesting were 1 Magpie Goose, 11 Blue-billed Ducks, 1 FRECKLED DUCK, 2 Royal Spoonbills, 2 Yellow-billed Spoonbills, 18 Latham’s Snipe, 2 Common Greenshank, 1 WOOD SANDPIPER, 850 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, 155 Black-winged Stilts, 3 Red-kneed Dotterels & 7 Whiskered Terns.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mt Eliza    VIC     3930
Ph:  (03) 9787 7136