birding-aus

SW NSW Trip -Part 2B

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: SW NSW Trip -Part 2B
From: "Lynn" <>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 21:38:47 +1100

SUNDAY December 7th

A 7.30 A.M. start today as we travelled east towards Finley, checking out rice fields on the way. Many birds were seen feeding in the fields including:

Yellow-Billed Spoonbill

Royal Spoonbill

White-Necked Herons  numerous

White-Faced Herons

Little Egret

Great Egret

Intermediate Egret

Straw-Necked Ibis

Sacred Ibis

In one tree there was an Australian Hobby, Australian Kestrel, and a White-faced Heron all with nests. The White-faced Heron had three large chicks trying their best to stay in the nest.

We stopped at a dam to look for Bitterns and weren?t disappointed as both a Black-Backed and an Australasian Bittern were calling along with numerous Little Grassbirds. At one point we flushed the Black-backed Bittern, a male, and got good but brief views before it dived back into the reeds. Other birds present here were Whiskered Tern and Zebra Finch.

Moving on we saw a Laughing Kookaburra that had just caught a metre or so long Brown Snake and proceeded to whip it to death. Blue Bonnets and Cockatiel were seen whilst driving. We stopped at various dams, water holes and rice fields and found a few more birds such as Glossy Ibis (5 or 6), Australasian Grebe and Hoary-headed Grebe, Red-Necked Stint and an Australian Spotted Crake was heard calling in a reed bed.

As the weekend was drawing to a close we drove back towards Deni stopping to check out some flowering Eremophilas. This proved very productive with several honeyeaters present, including:

Black

Pied

White-Fronted

Striped

Singing

White-Plumed

One of the White-fronted Honeyeaters was mimicking a Singing Honeyeater, which we surmised might have been so they were not chased away from the food source, Very interesting though. A quick trip around town when we got back added:

Red-Browed Finch

Silvereye

Sacred Kingfisher

Nankeen Night Heron.

I started the long trip home by driving to an overnight stop in Griffith to have another look at Binya State Forest for some birds I had missed on the way down. Turning off the Newell Highway and onto the Kidman Way at the southern end there was a group of about two dozen Black-tailed Native-hens in the grass around some roadside puddles and two Emus in the paddock.

Went to JD?s Pizza and Pasta Restaurant in Griffith for dinner, which I could thoroughly recommend. It is great to relax with a beer and good meal after a good days birding.