birding-aus

Gluepot News

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Gluepot News
From: "Peter Waanders" <>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 20:05:07 +1030
Hi all

Some good news (again) re Birds Australia Gluepot Reserve ("Gluepot"):
Last week the Reserve won an SA Great Award in the category: Science and
Environment. On Tuesday of this week, we won a KESAB Award in the
Environment Action and Education category. On Friday, in Sydney, Gluepot
Reserve representing South Australia in the national finals won the award,
Environment, Conservation and Heritage. To cap it all off, at the SA Tourism
Awards held in Adelaide on Friday evening, Gluepot took out a 'Highly
Commended Award' in the category: Ecotourism (we won this category last
year).

To win four major awards in the space of two weeks is a remarkable
achievement and thanks largely to the huge amount of volunteer effort that
keeps going into Gluepot.

The Michael Hyde Visitor Centre at Gluepot was officially opened on the 29th
November by Bill Spurr, the Chief Executive of the South Australian Tourism
Commission.

150 people were in attendance on a beautiful day.  Gluepot has set another
industry standard and the SATC is already talking of duplicating our 'theme'
for other visitor centres around the state.

There are so many who did so much to bring the building and display material
to finalisation. Particular mention must be made of our artists Garry Duncan
and Adrian Webb, who donated their time and expertise to produce absolutely
stunning artworks (Adrian put in over 720 hours to the eight glass panels).
Janine Mackintosh, our graphic designer was responsible for the production
of the 23 2m high full colour panels that tell the environment and Gluepot
story and Murray Harris and Ian Campbell produced the various display
stands, registration desk, and other internal furniture from native pine and
corrugated iron - these are truly originals, crafted by master craftsmen.

It's still not too late to visit before the usual hot spells in January -
February!

For more info, visit the Gluepot website:

http://www.riverland.net.au/gluepot

Cheers

Peter Waanders
Waikerie, South Australia