birding-aus

Elephant Seal near Geelong

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Elephant Seal near Geelong
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 17:55:22 +1100
Hi everyone

Not quite a bird I know, but there's an Elephant Seal at Pt Henry near Geelong. It's believed to be the same female (cow??) that came ashore for moult (??) this time last year. At that time the poor creature suffered from:

(a) People hitting golf balls at it
(b) A complete moron who tried to rub some of the hair off it - why I don't know - nor do I know why the seal didn't bite his leg off.

This year the seal is being monitored by wildlife officers. It is thought the seal may stay for some weeks again.

So far the only act of sheer lunacy was the guy who sat his kids on top of the seal so he could take some photos. I think the wildlife officer present had a few things to say .... and luckily there weren't any cries of "A seal took my baby!" (Sorry foreign readers - Aussie joke).

I haven't been to see the big seal yet, but my father took some photos a couple of days ago. These can be accessed in our "Sealed Section" at:

http://www.birding-aus.org/sealed.html

(Sorry. It's been a long day. If that link doesn't work try http://203.221.38.73/home/birding/sealed.html )

At the moment there are only a couple of 400Kb images - when I get a chance I'll put up some thumbnails and links to the big ones. Bit busy right now

Russ

Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus List Owner

Geelong   Victoria   Australia