birding-aus

Re: Where can I find Yellow Throated or large Billed Scrubwrens in Sydne

Subject: Re: Where can I find Yellow Throated or large Billed Scrubwrens in Sydney?
From: "Dean Portelli" <>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 18:31:03 +1100
Kurtis,

As suggested by some other Birding-Aus subscribers the Royal National Park is a good spot to see both of these species. In particular I have seen both species many times along the Forest Path, which is a circuit track at the southern end of Lady Carrington Drive.

On several occasions I have seen these two species plus White Browed Scrubwren foraging together in a mixed-species foraging flock along the Forest Path. The Large-Billeds often forage underneath palm fronds, particularly those hanging down and dead or partly so, the birds make lots of noise picking at the dried leaves (there are many Cabbge Tree Palms along some parts of the Forest Path). Yellow-Throateds are more commonly observed closer to the ground. I have seen both species along the southern stretch of Lady Carrington Drive before you get to the Bola Creek picnic area.

If you lack private transport, you can get to Lady Carrington Drive by getting a train to Waterfall station and then walking along the Uloola track, taking the Couranga track, which meets up with the Forest Path and in turn Lady Carrington Drive. A bit of a walk but you go through a number of habitats and can see a variety of birds.

Cheers, Dean