birding-aus

Red browed finch - Correct name

To: "Mike Simpson" <>
Subject: Red browed finch - Correct name
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 19:03:07 +1100
It is Red-browed Finch (note the capitalisation & hyphen in the standard format of all bird names) Neochmia temporalis. The differences are due to in the early days many finches were given their own genus names, for no good reasons, just filling the preferences of the namer. Thus a whole plethora of genus names for our finches which became a big mess of alternatives. Then someone thought the Red-browed Finch was close to the Firetails (I never understood that bit) and the 1978 list named them accordingly. They aren't, the similarity of the red on the rump is quite different in structure and is a "red herring". They are much closer to the Star & Crimson Finches (and even look it) hence now being put into Neochmia.  Surely we have got it right now!

Philip