birding-aus

Azure kingfishers, Templestowe.

Subject: Azure kingfishers, Templestowe.
From: Trevor Kerr <>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 21:27:47 +1100
Sunday Nov23, Birrarrung Park (Melway 32 H3).
Excellent views of a pair on the north side of the Yarra, from the south bank. One bird spent about 30mins stationary, perched in a shrub overhang, being fed by the other. I guess she is laying, and the nest is nearby. If there is anyone (else, apart from me) who hasn't clocked this little gem, it's an easy get. The spot is about 50m east along the unsurfaced track that joins the paved circuit track, close to the BBQ Picnic Area that's marked on the map. I marked the exact spot to go down to the riverbank, kicking aside tiger snakes etc, with a strand of long grass wedged 2m up into the bark of redgum right beside the track.
Other good stuff, too - Fairy Martin, Oriole, Shriketit, BFCS.

Trevor Kerr
Blackburn VIC

Birding-Aus is now on the Web at