birding-aus

Birding around Cohuna (North/central Vic) (Bush stone curlew and Painted

Subject: Birding around Cohuna (North/central Vic) (Bush stone curlew and Painted HE)
From: john boyce <>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 14:38:19 +1100
Hi everyone,
spent a great day birding around the Cohuna area (north central
Victoria) on Friday (21st of Nov). I met Simon Starr (a local) and he
showed me around some of his favorite spots. I was especially interested
in seeing some birds I don't usually encounter in southern Vic including
Western Gerygone, Dollarbird, Spotted Harrier, White-backed Swallow,
both Friarbirds, Southern Whiteface, Grey-crowned Babbler, Blue-faced
HE, Pied Buthcherbird and Budgerigar. In about 5 hrs around Cohuna and
Gunbower Island we got all of the above except for the Grey-crowned
Babbler and Budgies (although the Noisy Friarbird and Western Gerygone
were call only records). I will try for the Grey-crowned Babbler and
Budgies again this Friday.
Actually the best sightings for the day came on my way home through the
Terrick Terrick NP and surrounds. First I heard 1 or 2 Painted
Honeyeaters in Terrick Terrick near the Mologa turnoff and then near
Mologa I found 2 Bush stone Curlews in a ploughed paddock on the south
side of the Mologa Terrick Terrick road about 500 m east of Mologa. This
was my first sight record of these gorgeous birds in Victoria and only
my second Painted HE record. Also got stunning views of a Spotted
Harrier north of Terrick Terrick on Timms Lake Road and near Timms Lake
found Rainbow Bee-eaters, Cockatiel and the White-backed Swallows.
I was also interested to see Brush Bronzewing and Common Bronzewing
within a 100 metres of each other in Kamarooka SP north of Bendigo. All
in all a great day with good diversity (about 106 species). Also got 10
raptor species for the day which may well be my best ever.

Full list

Brown Quail
Black Swan
Aus Shelduck